Thursday 2 July 2009

Guru Gobind Singh Ji and Bhai Dalla:



When Guru Gobind Singh jee had reached Bitinda he was met by Dalla. Dalla always had 500 men armed with weapons; he was always ready for war. He bowed to Guru jee and offered him a rifle. He said, “Kalgee-a-vala, guru jee adorned with the royal plume, I have heard that your whole family has been martyred by Aurangzeb. If you had called me to those battles, things would have been different.” Guru jee said, “Your 500 men that you are so proud of are just goats. Your words are empty. In my life I’ve had many hard times.”

The 40 martyrs of Chamkaur had meditated on God’s Name so much that each one of them had become the form of Guru Gobind Singh jee himself. Guru Gobind Singh jee said, “Dalla, I’ve had many hard times, my 40 Martyrs were starved for 6 months, now you are proud of your 500 goats!! Let me test your gun, send one of your men so I can test my aim on him!”

None of Dalla’s men came forward, but a Sikh father and son came rushing out, racing each other to become the target. The father said, “My body is old let me be the target son.” The son answered, “Father, all your life you’ve performed the service for the Guru, now let me perform this service.” Guru jee said, “I have Sikhs that fought against hundreds of thousands of Moguls!” Guru jee took the gun and aimed it high above the father and son. Dalla was amazed by the Guru’s Sikhs bravery. He fell at Guru jee’s feet and said give me a seat in Sach Khand. Guru jee said, “O Dalla, if you’d asked for a kingdom I could give it to you, if you asked for India I could give it to you, if you performed seva then I could give you Shiva, Brahma and Vishnu’s heavens, but Dalla I can’t give you even a space as small as the eye of a needle in Sach Khand, God’s Realm of Truth. “Dalla jee asked, “But why?” Guru jee said, “Because you haven’t received Khanda-batta-da-amrit, you don’t belong to the Guru.” Dalla fell at Guru jee’s feet and said “Bless me with amrit, Guru jee.”

Guru Gobind Singh jee continued, “Receive amrit!” Dalla replied, “Bless me

Maharaj.” After receiving amrit and the 5Ks, he was renamed Bhai Dalla Singh jee. He went home, ate but he just couldn’t sleep because of the heat. He moved his Kirpan left and right. He thought, “Why did I go to the Guru? I wasted a gun and these 5Ks are annoying me too much.” On the following day, Dalla said to Guru jee, “The Kirpan and Kachera (short sword and shorts) were annoying me so I took them off, but now give me a place in Sach Khand.” Guru jee said, “Dalla Singh jee, don’t give up so easily, slowly these 5Ks will start looking good to you. Remain disciplined as instructed in the Code of Conduct, the Rehat Maryada, and even previous generations will be saved.”

That night he couldn’t sleep. He thought, I could take the Kirpan and Kachera off again, so he did. On the next day, Guru jee asked him, “How was your night?” Dalla replied, “It was very hot and uncomfortable, so I took off the Kirpan and Kachera.” Guru jee said, “Don’t get disheartened, and carry on making the effort.” That night he was incredibly hot. He had a dream, in it he saw Guru Gobind Singh jee taking him to Sach Khand. Along the way he saw the heavens belonging to Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu, he also saw the countless heavens of Ram Chandr, Mohammed and Jesus, he thought, “WOW! Look how much peace and happiness there is here, leave me here.” But, Guru jee said, “Bhai Dalla Singh jee the place you are going is where none of these prophets reached. Dalla thought, “What have I done to become worthy of going beyond these heavens?” Guru jee said, “You’ve received Khanda-batta-daamrit, you’ve become immortal.” When he saw Sach Khand’s door opening, he saw light brighter than thousands of Suns. He never took his 5Ks off again.

In Bitinda state there happened to be a severe drought, all of the crops had died. A few days later Guru jee said to Dalla Singh jee, “Close your eyes,” when he re-opened them he saw mango’s and orange’s growing in the trees. Again Guru jee said, “Close your eyes,” when he re-opened them he saw crops of wheat and maize. The third time he opened his eyes, he Saw Rivers where there had been deserts. Guru jee said, “Dalla Singh you didn’t obey my instructions, 3 times I told you to keep your 5Ks on but you took them off. Dalla Singh, if you had obeyed me the first time, then today you would had your dream fulfilled. But now future generations will learn from your mistakes and realise the importance of obeying the True Guru’s instructions.”