Saturday 2 February 2008

Traditional Prayers before you sleep

Most people these days just do Kirtan Sohila before going to sleep. But if you look at sakhis and old skool gutkas, it is clear that a Sikh must do rakhey dey shabad before kirtan sohila and the salok at end of jap ji sahib after Kirtan Sohila.



Translations of the Shabads of protection:

Sorat'h, Fifth Mehl:

The Word of the Guru's Shabad is my Saving Grace
It is a guardian posted on all four sides around me.
My mind is attached to the Lord's Name.
The Messenger of Death has run away in shame. ||1||

O Dear Lord, You are my Giver of peace.
The Perfect Lord, the Architect of Destiny, has shattered my bonds, and made my mind immaculately pure. ||Pause||

O Nanak, God is eternal and imperishable.
Service to Him shall never go unrewarded.
Your slaves are in bliss; chanting and meditating, their desires are fulfilled. ||2||4||68||


Bilaaval, Fifth Mehl:

The hot wind does not even touch one who is under the Protection of the Supreme Lord God.
On all four sides I am surrounded by the Lord's Circle of Protection; pain does not afflict me, O Siblings of Destiny. ||1||

I have met the Perfect True Guru, who has done this deed.
He has given me the medicine of the Lord's Name, and I enshrine love for the One Lord. ||1||Pause||

The Savior Lord has saved me, and eradicated all my sickness. Says Nanak, God has showered me with His Mercy; He has become my help and support. ||2||15||79||

Shalok:

Where the Holy people constantly vibrate the Kirtan of the Praises of the Lord of the Universe, O Nanak - the Righteous Judge says, "Do not approach that place, O Messenger of Death, or else neither you nor I shall escape!"||1||

Shalok, Fifth Mehl:

Within my mind, I think thoughts of always rising early, and making the effort.

O Lord, my Friend, please bless Nanak with the habit of singing the Kirtan of the Lord's Praises. ||1||


Translation of the Shalok at end of Jap Ji Sahib:

Salok:

The living spiritual life force is the Guru, Water is like the Father, and Earth is the Great Mother of all.

Day and night are the two nurses, in whose lap all the world is at play.

Good deeds and bad deeds-the record is read out in the Presence of the Lord of Dharma.

According to their own actions, some are drawn closer, and some are driven farther away from Vaheguru.

Those who have meditated on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and departed after having worked by the sweat of their brows

-O Nanak, their faces are radiant in the Court of the Lord, and many are saved along with them! ||1||