Saturday 2 February 2008

Traditional Rehras Sahib



Translations of missing parts in modern Gutkas:

Shabad at start

In each and every age, He creates His devotees and preserves their honor, O Lord King.

The Lord killed the wicked Harnaakhash, and saved Prahlaad.

He turned his back on the egotists and slanderers, and showed His Face to Naam Dayv.

Servant Nanak has so served the Lord that He will deliver him in the end. ||4||13||20||


Dasam Bani

There are the holy chapters of Thriyaa Pakhyian (name of the Granth). The Granth where the fallacies of kings, ministers, and women are described

This is the end of the 405th chapter of the Pakhyian. This highly regarded Granth is complete. Furthermore

Dohra verse

Oh immortal being! Let me be your slave and thus the benefactor of countless blessings.

Let your blessed hand guide me, and instill baani in my mind and body.

Chaupai:Verse

I do not praise or hail Ganesh before I start any task. (In old times, often Ganesh would be hailed before starting any task).
Nor do I let the thought of Vishnu or any incarnations of Vishnu (i.e. Krishna) enter my mind.

I know of their existence, but I do not ever worship them.

May my prayers and thoughts always be in the immaculate, holy feet of the Lord (the one and only).

I pray to my protector, the one that brings death to Death (the deity ‘Kali’; which was worshipped in the past).

Oh unbreakable one, I am your slave.

Make me your slave oh Lord and watch over me.

(I have come to your sanctuary) So preserve my honour.

Make me your own, and take care of me (as a mother does to a child).

Pick out my enemies one by one and kill them. (Guru Sahib refers Lust, Anger, Attachment, Greed, and Arrogance as our enemies. As a true Sikh should not have enmity toward any living creatures).

Let there be both plentiful food (Degh) and Weapons (Tegh) in this world. (So that the righteous may restore justice and rule the land).

As long as you; Oh Lord are my protector, no other power can do anything to me.
I pray that you be my guardian.
You are my master and I; your slave

Make me yours, thus giving me honour.

May you be the force of every action that we do.

Oh Almighty One, you are the King of all kings. You and you alone give honour to the poor

Recognize me (the poor one) as your slave.
I have lost everything, and with my last ounce of energy I am lying outside your door.

I plea to you once again. I am yours, watch over me oh Lord. You are the benevolent master; I am merely your slave.

Realizing me as your slave, give me your hand (your support). Destroy all of my enemies.

First off, I worship the timeless One and only God with great concentration.
Then I am capable of writing this poetry.

According to my knowledge I will tell you the stories of Krishana. Oh Lord, If I falter in this prose, may you correct them (as you know all). (Guru Sahib says the above out of humility).

Kabyo Bach. Dohra – Verse of the poet

I will share with the world whatever the Almighty God has commanded me to say.

Whoever meditates on the Supreme Power (God) will in the end reside in Heaven.

Dohra- Verse

God, and God’s lovers (devotees) are both the same, to discuss their differences is futile.

Like waves; which arise from water, but eventually re-immerse in that same water.

Dohra -Verse

When I was commanded by the Lord, only then did I take birth in this world.
Now I will briefly tell everyone my story. (Guru Gobind Singh Ji is speaking about his birth into Kaljug in Patna Sahib 1666 AD).

Kab Bach. Dohra – Verse of the poet

I then stood up with folded hands and said the following with a bowing head:
The path of Truth can only prosper in this world, If you (Vaheguru Ji), are by my side

Dohra - Verse

Oh Lord, those who awake in the ambrosial hours and meditate on you,

at their last moment they will attain the fruit of freedom. (Meaning they will attain you).

Dohra - Verse

In the Timeless God’s formless body, reside hundreds of millions of Vishnus and Shivas.

There are hundreds of millions of heavens, Brahmas, suns, moons and other deities.

Dohra – Verse

The narrations of God are glorified throughout the ages. God’s devotees are always in remembrance of them. Listening to the stories one is taken to Heaven, like how Raaja Raam Chaadr took all of Ayodha to Heaven. (Guru Sahib says that Raam Chaandr was able to save his whole city with the name of god, because Raaja Raam Chaadr Ji was not the Almightly Lord himself).

Chaupai:Verse

Whoever listens to these stories and sings them in holy worship
is safe guarded from pain and sin.
Worshipping God through meditation brings the following fruit;

no mental or physical illnesses can even touch your shadow.

The time (in Bikarmi years) was 1700 year, add 55 (1755 Bikarmi, or 1698 AD).
On a great first day, in the month of Harh. (Mid June to Mid July).

With your benevolence this Granth (scripture) was completed
Oh Lord if I were to falter, may you correct me, as only you know all.

Dohra-Verse

At the holy foot of the blessed Anandpur Sahib mountain, by the Sutlej river where the came waves appear.

Oh Admired Lord, there is the place where I completed the story of Raguvir Ram
Dohra-Verse

I don’t know who is righteous or evil, I am not trying to win appeal or make enemies, I simply want to say the facts.

The Granth was only completed due to the Lord’s graciousness and benevolence.